Roasted Vegetable Pasta
(I promise I’ll have pictures for the rest of the recipes I try, but this was such a hit, it went pretty fast)
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 28 minutes Makes: 4 servings
1.5 cups whole grain rotini pasta
1 pound asparagus, cut into 1.5 inch pieces
1 red bell pepper cut into 1 inch pieces
1 small red onion, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
2 cloves minced garlic
2 tbsp fat free greek yogurt
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp water
1/2 tsp coarse salt
1. PREHEAT the oven to 450 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with foil and coat with cooking spray.
2. BRING a medium pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the rotini and cook according to package directions. Drain the pasta and rinse over called running water. Transfer to salad bowl.
3. MEANWHILE, arrange the asparagus, bell pepper, and onion pieces in a single layer on the baking sheets. Coat the vegetables with cooking spray and bake for 12 minutes, tossing once, until the vegetables are crisp, tender, and very light browned.
4. COMBINE the basil, garlic, yogurt, oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, water, and salt in a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
5. Add the roasted vegetables and dressing to the pasta and toss well. Serve warm or at room temperature.
1 serving= 1.5 cups salad
Calories per serving: 250 Total Fat:8g Sat. Fat: 1g Sodium: 250mg Carbs: 38g Dietary Fiber: 6g Protein: 9g Calcium: 6%
It really was a great first choice to make from the book. I didn’t have asparagus so I added in some tomato, and we added in 4 oz of chicken to the entire batch. Making it still well under 400 calories per serving. It really hit the spot. :)
Greek Feta Salad
This is my dad’s favorite dish to get from the deli counter at Ralphs. He gets mad because I always pick out the big chunks of feta and the Kalamatta olives and leave the rest. Haha. So I decided to make him his own huge batch out of fresh ingredients, and lots of feta!
- 3 vine ripe tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 European seedless cucumber, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chunked
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chunked
- 3 large radishes
- 1 cup Kalamata black olives
- Several sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley, about 1/2 cup
- 2 (1/4 pound) slices imported Greek feta
- 1/4 cup (a couple of glugs) extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons (3 splashes) red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed in palm of your hand
- Coarse salt and black pepper
Oh My Nom.
Lunch is so delicious, guys!
Brown Rice, Chicken Breast, Avocado, Basil Paste (this stuff is a miracle), Green Onion, Cilantro, and Hot Sauce (which is currently making my nose run, so spicy, so yummy.)
I don’t know if it LOOKS as good as it is. But you should go make this. Nowwwww!